Friday, June 30, 2006

 

"Captain Ripley at the Dong Ha Bridge"

ONE OF THE MANY THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE MARINE CORPS is that the Marine community (active, Reserve, retired, and former Marines) is small and close-knit. Once you are grafted into the 230-year bloodline, you are part of a family.

This has enabled me, as an active and former Marine, to be in the company of some of the greatest giants of men who have ever walked the planet.

I joined the Corps nearly 25 years ago. I served only one four-year hitch. But I have communed with, learned from, and been life-seasoned by great warriors for a quarter century.
Let's take Col. John W. Ripley as an example.
Col. Ripley's reputation as a veritable combat superman was well-known back when I was a young rifle squad leader in the early to mid-1980's. Today, I count the colonel among my friends, and I've recently included him in several stories here, here, and here.
Which brings me to the point of this post (and the picture).
I've just now received a copy of "[then-Captain] Ripley at the Bridge [Dong Ha Bridge, Vietnam, 1972]," signed by the artist (also a legend in Marine circles), the Marine Corps' official artist-in-residence, Col. Charles Waterhouse.
The tiny, grainy picture you see here does no justice to the masterful work I am actually looking at in my office.
More later (in the meantime, read my and Col. Ripley's comments about what-is and is-not "combat" here).
Semper Fi,
WTSjr

[Please visit W. Thomas Smith Jr. at uswriter.com]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?