Saturday, April 01, 2006

 

Latest stories and "some of your mail"

Our latest stories at Townhall.com:
Altering perceptions of Iraq, on propaganda and disinformation related to the war in Iraq; and Our country, right or wrong, on the anniversary of the death of Naval hero Stephen Decatur (Yes, the picture is of Commodore Decatur.).

Then, syndicated columnist Jack Kelly again quotes us here. By the way, Jack is a former deputy assistant secretary of the Air Force (in the Reagan administration), as well as a former U.S. Marine and an Army Special Forces soldier.

Also - and this is too funny - Hamas is threatening to "obliterate" Rotary Clubs. I'm not kidding. I have to laugh (I think) at the utter lunacy of it. Check out Mona Charen's latest here.

Some of your mail:

* "I love this, thank you. So wonderful to learn of the great and honorable men that we owe everything to. I love my country.
I never learned American History during my public school education - but I am working on making up for that, and I intend to turn that family legacy around in my children.
So glad you're out there. Thanks again so much!"

* "Eichman had similar sentiments. Clooney should not be censured for being liberal or critiquing American behavior - The USA, far from being the envy of the world has now become the world's bully. And I differ with the current hypocrisy called an administration, not over a war but for subsequent events, like the erosion of civil liberties and wire tapping and cronyism and arrogance."

* "What a wonderfully written column. You are quickly becoming one of my favorite writers."

* "I agree with you sir. We live in a sad state when a nation that has nutured patriots such as Barron and Decatur in the past is infested with such as Clooney, Kennedy, Streisand, Kerry, Fonda, and Huffington. Your word "ilk" could not have been more appropriate."

* "BRAVO - now so what? For the end to all this, refer back to Vietnam."

* "Keep writing your great columns; the word has got to get out: "our country is at war for its very survival."

and a special note from Columbia's Joe Pinner (who always, to me, will be Mr. Knozit)

* "W. Thomas...again, so devastated at the news of Dean's passing...what a jewel of a man [He is referring to mutual friend, the late Brig. Gen. Dean C. DuBois Sr., who passed away on Monday, March 27.]. As far as 'freedom of speech' ...what a manipulated string of words...a shield held up by the most evil and filthiest of minds as they assault the senses and decent society with the vilest forms of what they term 'adult/mature entertainment,' thought-provoking dialogue, any writing or demonstration to advance their abhorrent agenda. Yes, I am one of those old coots who believes that our grantors of this 'amendment of freedom' did NOT mean for it to be used and abused as it is today by it's various interpretations. Hear the voice of those who cry out, 'Who are you to say what is decent?' Well, I think most people who are raised with an ounce of tender loving care and who have an ounce of compassion and love in their souls know 'what is decent,' as opposed to what is dark and foreboding and indecent. It doesn't take the proverbial rocket scientist to figure that out. What we as humans have to do as we journey through this life is try and make choices that enable us to enjoy the many joys a life can bring and cope with the sadnesses that are heir to us all...to make this 'world' a better place and try not to unjustly harm anyone along the way. We must seize from those who are 'prostituting' our first amendment and restore the value, the true essence of it's meaning and not allow it's misuse.
Case in point: demonstraters often say they have a right to assemble in any fashion to forward their 'cause,' overlooking the word 'peaceably,' to 'peaceably' assemble. And the oldie but goodie case in point: You don't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater! To the masses, I will NOT always defend to the death your right to say it...and that is my right. I know, enough already! I've violated your right to not be bombarded by my 'freedom of speech!.'
W. Thomas Smith, Jr., I, too, am a 'Jr.'. I am also an only child and you can probably realize why my parents decided to stop at one. I also appreciate your perspective on life as you see it. I feel comfortable with your words and your views. I ponder them, think and, thereby, feel enlightened and for that I thank you not only for them but for your friendship. Remember, don't postpone joy."
Joe Pinner aka Leon Joseph Pinner, Jr. aka Mr. Knozit - Columbia, S.C.

Best,
WTSjr





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?