Saturday, March 18, 2006

 

My great (seven-times) grandfather

Here is a picture of my great (seven-times) grandfather, Captain Thomas Woodward of South Carolina. (artist unknown)

Born 1729, Woodward is best remembered as a "regulator" who pursued outlaws during the Colonial era in South Carolina. He also was a captain of mounted rangers during the American Revolution. The company he commanded was positioned on the extreme left flank of William Moultrie's position during the famous Battle of Sullivan's Island (Charleston, S.C.) in June of 1776.

Woodward was shot from his saddle and killed in 1779, while in pursuit of Tory horsemen.

His name has continued in my family: My great grandfather was named Thomas Woodward, and my Uncle Woody was named Frank Woodward.
Best,
WTSjr





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?