Monday, February 06, 2006

 

Quick comments then back to work

Saturday night, we enjoyed watching my 17-year-old nephew, Michael Fowler, participate in the Mr. L-E (Lugoff-Elgin High School) pageant. He didn't win, but to be up there was enough to qualify him as "a winner" in my book. Plus, he was clearly the best-looking, most articulate kid on the stage... takes after his Uncle Tom ;-)
Kidding. Kidding.
Seriously, the competition was keen, and the whistles and cheers for Michael when he swaggered out onto that stage in his tuxedo (pictures will be hopefully forthcoming) were, well, beyond exciting for my family and me.
Speaking of excitement, many thanks to my editor at National Review Online, Kathryn Jean Lopez, who took time to share editorial experiences with my magazine writing students at the University of South Carolina's J-School, last week.
Kathryn chatted with the class from National Review's offices in Manhattan via telephone speaker-phone. The students loved it.
Slated for later in the semester are Gordon Witkin, my editor at U.S. News & World Report, and Kathy Sena, who interviewed me recently for Woman's Day and who penned this week's My Turn column at Newsweek. Here 'tis.
Close Call: I’ve forgiven the girl I was back then. While she made a frightening mistake, she taught me a lesson that has stuck with me.
What else? Oh yeah, check out our latest piece on a "prep-school" for Navy SEAL candidates at NavySEALs.com, and then part II of my interview with Brig. Gen. Dan Bolger, commanding general of the Coalition Military Assistance Training Team in Iraq, at Townhall.com.
OK, gotta scoot.
Best,
WTSjr





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?