Thursday, December 29, 2005

 

Man savagely beaten in downtown Columbia

So, this morning I'm driving with my 17-year-old nephew in downtown Columbia when we pass through the intersection of Assembly and Hampton, and watch in horror as a tall, muscular, well-dressed man jumps out of his car and proceeds to savagely beat a much smaller, homeless man.
Of course, I slam on the brakes.
We (my nephew and I) jump out of my car. But just as we do, the attacker jumps in his car and races away.
The poor homeless man is lying in the street, covered in blood, pouring blood out of his mouth and nose... and he is crying like a baby.
I give him a sweatshirt from my car. Call 911. And stay there and talk to him. Some other people walk up. Some are expressing outrage. A few are crying. It is all so pitiful.
The police and the ambulance finally come. They put the homeless man on a stretcher and carry him away.
I give the police a description of the man, his car, and tag number.
I am so angry right now and at the same time hurt that I really don't know what to say.

WTSjr





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?