Thursday, May 05, 2005

 

Col. David Hackworth has died

Goodbye, Hack
My friend and fellow writer, George Sheldon, has just emailed me with some very sad news:
Col. David Hackworth (U.S. Army, ret.) - a best-selling author, a warrior in the purest sense, and a man I was fortunate enough to call my friend - has died.
It seems somehow appropriate that as I pen these words, I can hear the distant thud of mortar fire as young Army recruits train at nearby Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Hack will be missed by veterans on both sides of the political fence.
See stories here and here.

The image “http://vnexpress.net/Vietnam/The-gioi/Tu-lieu/2004/04/3B9D14D2/vv1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Despite his always incredibly busy schedule, Hack willingly - I might add happily - took the time to advise me on military specifics particularly as they related to the history of his famous unit, The Wolfhounds.
More to follow.

My buddy and fellow veteran Jeff Quinton also weighs-in on the character of Hack:
Meeting him at a book-signing, years ago, Jeff says...
"I was taken aback about how feeble he was compared to my expectations but he was still sharp as a tack mentally and still had the ability to generate a lot of noise when he thought something rotten was going on in the corridors of the Pentagon."
More comments from Jeff here.

Semper Fi,
WTSjr





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?